Good Morning, I hope the weather is fine and yoy are enjoying the summer weather.
We had an abundance of Classics to choose our Car of the Day, but have decided on this which is available from
1955 AUSTIN-HEALEY 100/4
RetroMarques Ltd is pleased to offer for sale on behalf of the owner this superbly presented 1955 LHD Austin Healey 100/4...One look and it was immediately obvious that this Healey had been the subject of substantial investment but, although the condition of the car was very evident, with no accompanying history file one could not know for certain what had been carried out, when and by whom. Well, the good news is that we have now traced the previous owner in the USA and subsequently received the very comprehensive history file from him.
BMIHT Heritage Certificate confirmed production details:
Car/chassis no: BN1-L/223486
Engine no: 1B/223486
Build date: 6 June 1955
Destination: Austin Motor Company of America
Not one but 2 fully documented restoration files accompany the car, the first having taken place in 1992 and the more recent in 2003. Each has a thick sheaf of invoices detailing the work:
1992: Restoration by David Palmer at ‘David’s Place’ - fully documented and photographed 9-month restoration to “turn a pig’s ear into a silk purse” for the then owner Dr Paul Palmer, a dentist in Culver City. The rebuild was subsequently featured in a magazine article about Davids Place. A huge list of both new and refurbished parts, including 12v battery conversion (neg earth), CD/radio fit, discrete electric aerial, alarm and return to Colorado Red.
2003: Full mechanical restoration by ‘British Car Specialists’ (owned by the renowned Norman Nock – so-called ‘Dr Healey’) - fully documented/invoiced work including:
- Full engine rebuild to unleaded spec, rear crankshaft oil seal conversion, lightened flywheel, steel crank and to internal M-spec (note that the full M-spec conversion was not finished as the carbs and carb air filter box were not fitted).
- Conversion to BN2-spec 4-speed gearbox.
- Rebuilt suspension, including shockers, splined hubs, poly-bushes.
- Front/rear brake rebuild. • Carb strip and rebuild, new fuel pump, recon tank.
- Hi-torque starter motor.
- New tonneau cover (short style) and hood. • Instruments fully reconditioned.
- New interior utilising faithful-to-original tar paper, jute padding and finished with top-quality Wilton Wool carpeting.
- Sum total shown of $33,052.
- Leather seat kit including new seats, centre armrest.
- Full armacord set for cockpit and boot, custom colour matched to interior.
- Full panel kit.
- Sum total of $3039.
- Chrome wire wheels – 72-spoke – with 185/70x15 radials all round.
- Fitted trickle battery charger with ‘fly-lead’ into the rear-cockpit.
- Static seat belts. • Jack, hammer in colour-matching bag.
- Further invoicing for special-order side screens, side screen stowage bags, spare wheel cover, windscreen and maintenance/minor items and work through to 2012.
Also accompanying the car:
Austin Healey Service Manual (2-of, one original and one reprint)
Austin Healey Guide to Historic Colours by Pikovnik (rare, out of print)
British Car Specialists Rare & Hard to Find Parts Catalog
This stunning Healey comes with the UK (also EU) tax-paid paperwork (NOVA), new BMIHT Heritage Certificate and a UK MoT test. It is now registered with the DVLA and has its new number plates and, of course, a road tax disc too.
A beautiful, near-mint 100/4 with the lovely balanced handling of the earlier Big Healeys and feeling very ‘together’ on the road. Huge history file, potential to complete the upgrade to full 100M-spec with the carburettor conversion (please ask us for an estimate should this be of interest) and just the ‘ticket’ to many restorative events across Europe
For further details (extensive photos and information can be emailed on request) and/or to arrange a viewing and test-drive please call or email Mark to arrange a viewing and test drive or for further information: 07791 417256 or Mark@retromarques.co.uk