Friday 31 October 2014


Veteran Car Week
For our Friday classic we make our final visit to Bonhams London to Brighton Sale to be held later today. Veteran cars are not everyone's cup of tea but we as enthusiasts much make every attempt to promote their continued use. Motor engineering has come a long way from the dawn of motoring when 6hp was deemed a danger to health, can you imagine the outcry at speeds that modern cars are able to reach with power outputs of 1001bhp.
If you,ve never been to any the London to Brighton events now is the time to see what you've been missing.
Originally the property of Olry Roederer of the champagne house Louis Roderer, Reims,1904 CGV 6¼-Litre Type H1 Four-Cylinder Side-entrance Phaeton  Chassis no. 2054 Engine no. 2054 

Originally the property of Olry Roederer of the champagne house Louis Roderer, Reims
Registration no. 6394 D
Chassis no. 2054
Engine no. 2054


Established in Puteaux, Seine in 1901, CGV took its initials from those of its three founders: Messrs Fernand Charron, Léonce Girardot and Émile Voigt, all of whom had been successful racing drivers for Panhard. Of the trio, Charron had enjoyed the greatest success, winning the Marseilles-Nice and Paris-Amsterdam-Paris races in 1898 as well as the inaugural Gordon Bennett Cup of 1901. Prior to the foundation of CGV, Charron and Girardot had been partners in a Panhard dealership and CGV's first automobiles were designed along similar lines, albeit noticeably lower-slung. The first CGV was powered by a 3.3-litre 15/20hp four-cylinder engine driving the rear wheels via a four-speed gearbox and chain final drive. A steel-reinforced wooden chassis was used, featuring transverse-leaf springing at the rear. Amazingly, the fledgling firm then produced the world's first straight-eight engine, which was exhibited in a prototype model at the 1902 Paris Salon. There was immense interest but it never entered production.

CGV soon acquired a reputation for quality and an equally distinguished clientele, which included the King of Portugal, various lesser European royals and members of the British aristocracy. It was imported into the USA and sold there as the 'American CGV' while a limited number were actually assembled in New York and delivered with locally built coachwork. By 1905 the early models' atmospheric inlet valves had been dropped and the range had expanded to include 'T-head' fours of up to 9.8 litres, some with shaft drive. Despite CGV's success, the partnership was in crisis: Girardot and Voigt left to pursue other projects and for 1907 the cars were badged as 'Charron', continuing as such when Fernand Charron left to join Clément-Bayard in 1908.

The right-hand drive CGV offered here is an example of the H1, a four-cylinder 6¼-litre car whose T-head engine was rated at 25CV under the French system but would have been judged a 32.8hp unit by the RAC method. Transmission is by means of a cone clutch, four-speeds-and-reverse sliding-pinion gearbox, and twin chain final drive. The chassis is of CGV's combined steel/timber construction, with suspension by semi-elliptic leaf springs at the font and semi-elliptic plus transverse springs at the rear. Brakes – of the internal expanding type – are fitted to the rear wheels only and there is also a transmission brake. Wooden artillery wheels are fitted. L'Autocatalogue of 1928 (published while Charron was still in business) states that 79 Type H (5.7-litre) and H1 cars were built between December 1903 and the end of 1904 with numbers ranging from '2001' to '2079'.

This particular car, number '2054', was purchased new in 1904 by one of CGV's typically wealthy patrons: Olry Roederer of the champagne house, Louis Roederer, Reims. Producer of the famous and exclusive Champagne Cristal, Louis Roederer is today one of the few surviving independent maisons de champagne. At time of the CGV's purchase, French law required that all cars should carry a plaque recording the owner's name and address, and Olry Roederer's is given as a château to the north west of Paris. Sadly, Roederer died in November 1904 so did not have the opportunity to enjoy the car for long.

The CGV then disappeared from view, re-emerging in 1968 when it was advertised for sale in L'Automobilist magazine's September/October edition by one Bill Tallet of 6 rue du Pôle Nord, Paris. It is understood that the car had been extracted from the Roederer château. John Wilkins purchased the CGV and brought it to the UK, and in November 1969 sold it on to the noted collector and enthusiast Bryan Goodman, who kept it until 2000.

When rediscovered in the late 1960s, the CGV had been updated with an Edwardian straight-sided body, a not uncommon means by which early but technologically advanced cars were kept stylistically up-to-date. This body, which carried coachbuilder Henri Binder's plates, was removed and sold at auction in 1972. To replace it, a more appropriate body in Veteran-period style was built with reference to 'The Coach Builders and Wheelrights Art Journal' and illustrations in contemporary CGV brochures. A mechanical restoration was carried out at the same time. Bryan Goodman used the CGV for the next 30-or-so years on numerous old-car events in the UK and for rallies and tours abroad, including returning the car to its native land in 1998.

In 2000 the CGV was sold to the immediately preceding owner, during whose custodianship a thorough mechanical and cosmetic refurbishment was undertaken by specialists NP Veteran Engineering of Heathfield, East Sussex at a cost in excess of £60,000. Works carried out included comprehensively overhauling the engine, transmission, steering and suspension; rebuilding the wheels; re-trimming the interior in black leather; renewing the hood; and making tonneau covers and a windscreen. The car was repainted in its current livery of dark blue with black mudguards, and fitted with fine brass BRC 'bull's eye' headlamps and W&G Du Cros sidelights. The only notified deviations from factory specification are a starter motor, later carburettor, and flashing indicators.

Its owner continued to use the CGV on rallies throughout the UK, Ireland and continental Europe, and also participated with it annually on the London-Brighton Veteran Car Run, driving to events and enjoying 100% reliability. Because of his advancing years, he eventually sold the CGV, which was purchased by the current vendor at auction in Paris in February 2006. Since then, its owner has used the CGV on numerous Veteran Car Club events and participated successfully in every London-Brighton Run from 2006 to 2013. He reports that the car can cope with six persons aboard, takes steep hills easily in its stride, and has never once let him down. The rear wheels were renewed in 2014.

Accompanying documentation consists of a V5C registration document, FIVA identity card, VCC Certificate No. 2040 and an MoT certificate valid until July 2015, together with two folders of historical and other information detailing monies spent, events entered, etc. Presented in lovely condition, this rare CGV Phaeton represents an exciting opportunity to acquire one of the finest and most powerful Grand Touring cars of its era

Thursday 30 October 2014

1905 Gardner-Serpollet 18hp Type L Phaeton Steamer - BONHAMS UK

Veteran Car Week
With just under a day to Bonhams Sale at New Bond Street we take another look at another lot to appear that is also registered for the Regent Street Concours on Saturday and the Brighton Run on Sunday, to all the entrants we wish them a successful event. Sadly due to ill health we won't be able the cover the event but hope to visit in 2015.
1905 Gardner-Serpollet 18hp Type L Phaeton Steamer
Coachwork by Kellner, Paris 
Registration no. AH 100 
Chassis no. 1013 
Engine no. 1307
 Formerly part of the George Milligen Collection, London to Brighton-eligible,1905 Gardner-Serpollet  18hp Type L Phaeton Steamer  Chassis no. 1013 Engine no. 1307 
'In effect, the steam car in France meant Serpollet and to the cognoscenti Serpollet was to the steam car what Lanchester, Bugatti, Maybach or Lancia were to the petrol car.... Of the three principal steam cars of the Edwardian period Serpollet was the most advanced in the scientific sense; next to it in ingenuity and engineering refinement comes the White, but those who have driven both give the preference to the French car not only because it provides so clever an answer to the engineering problems but because it is rather less heavy in hand than the American machine.' – Lord Montagu and Anthony Bird, 'Steam Cars 1770-1970'.

The late George Milligen was no ordinary Norfolk farmer. Born into a privileged family, his father being a successful industrialist, George's decision to embark on a farming career was a bold one and from the outset he saw the advantages of mechanised farming at a time when the horse was still a most frequent sight on Norfolk farms. This foresight undoubtedly contributed to George's success in his farming career and this in turn enabled him to indulge his passion for all things mechanical, provided that they intrigued his inquisitive mind. Around his East Ruston Manor Farm at Stalham, the mildly eccentric Milligen was a familiar sight in any one of his amazing collection of early motor cars, whether at high speed at the wheel of his 1929 Supercharged Mercedes-Benz SSK, tootling along in his 1909 AX Renault, or more spectacularly keeping the pressure up on one of his steam vehicles. His collection of the latter embraced not only the 1896 Salvesen Steam Cart, now such a regular sight on Brighton road, the 1909 15hp White Steamer and this highly spectacular London to Brighton-eligible Gardner-Serpollet.

Léon Serpollet had developed his multi-tube flash boiler in 1888, significantly advancing steam vehicle technology and efficiency. With backing from fabulously wealthy American Frank Gardner, who had built his own petrol-engined cars in Paris between 1898 and 1900, Serpollet was to spearhead steam car production in Europe. Early in the 20th Century, Serpollets were making their mark in the great Continental City-to-City races, establishing a reputation for reliability, if not for winning speeds. In the Paris-Vienna Race in 1902 all five Serpollet cars entered completed the 615-mile race. In that same year Serpollet took the World Land Speed Record at just over 75mph and in hill climbs its cars proved to be formidable competition. In 1904 Serpollet introduced the Type L, designed more in line with the then current convention. The boiler remained at the back of the chassis while the four-cylinder engine was placed longitudinally under a bonnet at the front behind a large circular condenser with the appearance of a petrol-engined car radiator.

The history of this car prior to 1946 is not fully recorded but during the war the fact that it would run on paraffin and not on rationed petrol meant that it could be used regularly for journeys of up to 50 miles per day. In 1946 it was in the ownership of one H Garrett-Adams (see Lot 205), passing in 1949 to Paul Fotheringham-Parker of Portman Square, London. In 1950 the car passed to Alec Hodsdon, steam guru and harpsichord maker of Lavenham, Suffolk, who also owned a 1900 Gardner-Serpollet previously belonging to the aforementioned Garrett Adams. In 1957, a relatively youthful George Milligen purchased this car from Alec Hodsdon.
George's own notes record: 'Car no: L1O13 Engine no 1013 coach body tulip phaeton 5 seater by Kellner. Acquired from Alec Hudson from Lavenham in Suffolk for £450 in 1957. AH 100 alloted by request in 1959. Heating of burner from cold by calor gas instead of methylated spirit.'

Milligen campaigned this car actively in the 1950s and 1960s, and fitted a new generator incorporating stainless tubes. A new water tank was fitted in 1960 with an increased capacity of 24 gallons and therefore giving a total water capacity of 34 gallons. Milligen ventured furthest from home in 1959, participating in the VCC Scottish Rally that year in the Gardner-Serpollet. The Serpollet was described as steaming strongly through the Trossachs, with Milligen on occasion delighting in his own personal pyrotechnic displays to the consternation of other competitors but to his personal great amusement. It was on that Scottish Rally, starting in Edinburgh and finishing in Glasgow, that Milligen visited the collection of John Sword at East Balgray Farm, near Kilmarnock, little knowing that from the two subsequent Sword Collection sales in 1962 and 1965 he would add significant cars to his own collection. 'AH 100' now has that fabulous patina that is only acquired from careful attention over 50 or more years in single ownership. Clearly it was a highly original car when it came into Milligen's ownership, and that originality has been carefully respected.

The car was officially dated 1904 by the Veteran Car Club on 26th June 1950 (Dating Certificate No. 908). That dating relied on the knowledge that this model was introduced in 1904. Serpollet records which have subsequently come to light suggest that this car, although being the 1904 model, was in fact manufactured in 1905. The Dating Certificate records the fitting of a White two-speed rear axle, presumably work carried out by Hodsdon to enhance the car's performance. During restoration it was discovered that this 'improvement' was anything but, so an exact replica of the Serpollet item, from the original Serpollet drawings, was commissioned, resulting in a top speed of over 45mph at reduced revs. The stainless steel boiler tubing as fitted by Milligen did not produce the intended heat and was replaced by a newly-made steel tube boiler capable of producing temperatures of more than 900 degrees Fahrenheit.

The coachwork is liveried in vertical green and black striping (peculiarly referred to as Dutch Pink), with fine red coachlining. Forward illumination is provided by an outstanding pair of Polkey oil headlamps with Powell & Hanmer oil side lamps. Dashboard equipment includes a fuel tank pressure gauge, fuel burner pressure gauge and the essential steam pressure gauge to monitor ultimate performance. The car is a delight to drive and is completely self-regulating due to the Donkey pump system as can be seen from the accompanying video.

Like all cars from the Milligen Collection, the Gardner-Serpollet comes with a detailed notebook. George recorded all trips from 1959 to 1963. It is noted that the car participated in the London to Brighton Run in 1984, 1985, 1986, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, finishing every time save in 2011 when the crankshaft broke. The failure was discovered to be a direct consequence of the installation of the White back axle. It has subsequently been replaced by a crankshaft made according to original factory drawings but with the added improvements of modern materials and hardening processes. With its London to Brighton Veteran Car Run history and its previous VCC dating, this car qualifies under present rules for 'Grandfather Rights', enabling it to participate in London to Brighton Runs.

Time moves on and with some reluctance this fine French steam car now comes to the open market once more. This is the only surviving shaft drive Serpollet and only one other Type L - a chain drive version - survives in long-term captivity in The French National Motor Museum at Mulhouse. Here is a well-known and distinctive steam car, featured in Georgano's Encyclopaedia, Bird and Hutton-Stott's 'The Veteran Motor Car Pocket Book' and many other motoring publications. Few contemporary cars have the presence or performance of this steam car and opportunities to acquire cars of this significance rarely arise. 'AH 100' has been housed on the Isle of Man with respected steam engineer Chris Wedgwood who has returned the car to its original appearance, performance and reliability, Chris will be available to make the run with and/or tutor any purchaser with its operation and ongoing maintenance. It is offered with a copy of the VCC Dating Certificate; a V5 registration document; an old-style buff logbook; other related documents and photographs; various notes on steam cars from Milligen's files; the aforementioned notebook; and the all-important George Milligen provenance. A box of Gardner-Serpollet related items can be collected by arrangement with the vendor. The car is registered for this year's Regent Street Concours d'Élégance as well as for the London to Brighton Run. It was awarded the distinction of historically most important car in the London to Brighton Run in 2010.

Copyright © Bonhams 2014

Wednesday 29 October 2014

1903 Malicet et Blin 8hp Four-Seater Rear-Entrance Tonneau -Bonhams Auction

Veteran Car Week
 1903 Malicet et Blin 8hp Four-Seater Rear-Entrance Tonneau
 Chassis no. 6
Engine no. 13379


  • The old established Parisian engineering firm of Malicet et Blin were manufacturers of gearboxes, steering boxes and differentials as well as water pumps, drive shafts and rear axles which they sold to the burgeoning list of motor manufacturers in Paris and its environs and indeed further afield. They also manufactured and supplied motor car chassis with or without engines, so essentially their engineering expertise served well an industry where out-sourcing of components was becoming commonplace.

    This car, confirmed by the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain Dating Committee in 1997 (certificate no. 2146) as a Malicet et Blin from 1903, is powered by an 8hp single cylinder De Dion Bouton engine, driving through a Malicet et Blin three speed and reverse gearbox, with steering box and rear axle differential from that manufacturer. It was discovered in distressed condition in Belgium in 1966 but with all mechanical components in place. A slow and painstaking restoration by two leading members of the Belgian VCC began in 1966 and was completed in 1989, this restoration embracing building the handsome four seater coachwork in period style. In 1990 the car was officially dated by the VCC of Belgium, (certificate no. 1061), at which time a FIVA International Identity Card was also issued.

    This car took part three times as an overseas entrant in the London-Brighton Veteran Car Run in the period 1990-1994 and, in the hands of the immediately preceding British owner, completed 13 successive Brightons from 1995-2007. The current vendor purchased the car at Bonhams' New Bond Street Sale in November 2008 (Lot 305).

    The car is strikingly liveried in dark blue and black, with fine yellow coachlining and black deep-buttoned leather upholstery. It is equipped with a good set of four petroleum spirit lamps by Phares Besnard, brass bulb horn and rear view mirror.

    This exceedingly rare car, the only one of its kind recorded in the current VCC of GB Members Handbook & Car List, is offered with a comprehensive range of essential spares for the Brighton motorist, including trembler coil, inlet valve assembly, exhaust valve and spring, inner tubes, spark plugs and a tailored tonneau cover. There is also a fascinating history file including a photographic record of the restoration. 'BS 8212' is currently taxed and has a V5C registration document. That this car comes from fastidious ownership is evidenced by its overall first class presentation in all areas and impressive London-Brighton record – it has now successfully completed 19 successive Runs (1995-2013) and has a valid entry for the 2014 event.

    As well as eligibility for The London to Brighton Veteran Car Run and all events organised for members of The Veteran Car Club, it is also eligible because of its De Dion Bouton engine for participation in events run by the De Dion Bouton Club UK.


Monday 27 October 2014



We continue our look at Veteran Cars available from dealers & autioners as we head towards the Annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run this weekend. Today we return to Bonhams who kick off the weekend with their sale on Friday 31st October at their New Bond Street Auction site.
 Registration no. Not U.K. Registered See Text
Engine no. 1148


  • A cornerstone in the infant motor industry, the Daimler Motor Syndicate Ltd., founded in 1896 as part of H J Lawson's mighty motor empire, sold their first cars based on Panhard-Levassor chassis, and employed German-built Canstatt Daimler engines. British car manufacture at that stage lagged behind its European mainland counterpart and although Lanchester, at nearby Birmingham, had commenced manufacture in 1895 it was Daimler, exploiting Gottlieb Daimler's motor patents, who really carried the flag for Great Britain in those pioneering days starting manufacture at the Motor Mills factory Coventry in 1897. Early cars featured twin cylinder engines and had tiller steering, hot tube ignition, a four speed gearbox and chain final drive. The Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, took delivery of his first Daimler in 1900 and Daimler was to remain the marque of choice of the royal household until the 1950s.

    This archetypal Victorian vehicle was first registered in Shropshire under the 1903 Motor Car Act and its very early history is not recorded. In about 1931 it was rescued from a Shropshire orchard by a Surrey enthusiast, (believed to be H.Garrett-Adams), no doubt inspired by the formation of The Veteran Car Club of Great Britain just one year earlier and the great interest in The Emancipation Run re-enactments at that time. The planned restoration was never completed by that owner and a chance conversation with the local postman in 1938 put Francis Hutton-Stott, a pillar of the early days of the 'old car' movement, (Past President of The Veteran Car Club of Great Britain and founder of The Lanchester Register), in contact with the wagonette and its owner. 1148 was to join the Hutton-Stott collection and its restoration continued. The Motor magazine of 5th April 1944, reviewing the Hutton-Stott motor car collection, reported on the acquisition of 1148 as follows:

    'At that time the car was exactly 40 years old, but its specification seemed to diverge somewhat from standard. It turned out it had been "modernised" and super-tuned in 1902 by Frank Morris (sic) of King's Lynn. Morris (sic) was a specialist in bringing 19th century Daimlers up to 20th century standards by fitting higher compression engines and other "mods". He must be the earliest "hotter upper" in the trade. The Daimler was completely dismantled and was being reconstructed to its 1898 condition with contemporary parts, when the war started. Morris's wheel steering, side gear lever, radiator and bonnet have now been replaced by tiller steering, tram type gear controls on the dash, and an original Daimler bonnet without radiator.

    It would seem from inspection that the present eight seater wagonette body had remained intact under a Morriss-styled disguise, this is supported by photographs of the car prior to restoration. As Hutton-Stott focused his collection more on the Lanchester marque 1148 passed in the 1950s into the ownership of another Veteran Car Club stalwart, S.J. 'Jimmy' Skinner, who embarked on further restoration which was completed in the 1970s. 1148 was subsequently acquired by Irish collector Denis Lucey, later passing to his friend and compatriot Sullivan, residing in Hawaii. From Sullivan it passed into a Japanese collection circa 20 years ago, where it has remained since.

    The car is now presented to original specification in all major respects although it has been converted from hot tube to electric ignition, probably by 'hotter upper' Morriss of King's Lynn in 1902. More recently an incorrect radiator has been removed and the vehicle relies on its large rear mounted water tank in line with original specification. The number 1148 is stamped on the engine cylinder head. '1148' was dated by The Veteran Car Club in the very earliest days of dating (Certificate no.57) and attributed a date of 1897, quoting car number 1026. Recent inspection has not yet revealed that number. The rear axle forgings are clearly stamped 'Kirkstall Forge, Leeds, 1898'. Similar dated stampings appear on other VCC dated surviving contemporary Daimlers. It should be noted that The British Motor Company Ltd. plate on the inside of the bonnet, showing no.3412, may not be relevant to this car as it is recorded that this bonnet was replaced during Hutton-Stott's ownership – see above.

    Following the long period of museum storage overseas the car has more recently returned to the UK and has been carefully researched and gently recommissioned by leading Victorian vehicle specialist Richard Peskett. Fuel,oil and pressure lines have been cleaned, new inlet valve springs fitted along with new trembler coils and wiring. The oil pressure system has been checked and cleaned and it is reported that the car starts easily and runs well. Further careful inspection is recommended to identify any further remedial work which may be required before the vehicle is used extensively. This eight seater Victorian wagonette generally has that comfortable feel of a well matured restoration and is nicely equipped with a contemporary floor gong, giving audible warning of approach, (in practice normally accompanied by suitably chosen words from driver or passengers), a candle tail lamp and a fine matching pair of candle power Daimler Motor Company front lamps. The original registration number AW 98 surrendered circa 30 years ago when the car left the United Kingdom has been applied for with the DVLA.

    British built Victorian vehicles rarely come to the open market and here is just such a vehicle from the most distinguished Daimler marque that has continued in motor car manufacture at the heart of the British Motor Industry for no less than 118 years. Imagine the thrill of driving British-built 1148 - seven passengers aboard - across the finishing line of the world's premier veteran car event - The London to Brighton Veteran Car Run.


1904 BOYER SIX & HALF HORSEPOWER - Gavin McGuire Fine Automobiles

Veteran Car Week
We continue our look at cars from the Veteran Era in celebration of the London to Brighton Weekend, not all are eligible for the run but there are some interesting makes & models out there so we continue with the 1904 Boyer.
Georgano’s indispensable  “Complete Encyclopedia of Motorcars” tells us that Boyer et Cie of Suresnes in France was initially associated with Phebus motorcycles powered by either De Dion or Aster engines. By 1901 they were manufacturing the advanced tubular framed motor car you see here which was usually supplied with either a single cylinder Aster engine or a twin cylinder Buchet engine connected via a cone clutch to a three speed and reverse gearbox with chain drive to the rear wheels. 
This lovely single cylinder example, which I understand is in only in its second ownership since new, is the first Boyer I have seen which is not too surprising as there are only four such cars listed in the VCC handbook. The thing that strikes you is that it is a very compact four seater so it can’t weigh that much which probably explains why it goes rather well though its performance is no doubt enhanced by its recent engine rebuild. The body, which is mainly made of wood including the wings, is very attractively finished and nicely trimmed and, as you can see in one of the pictures, comes complete with a detachable Surrey top which will no doubt be much appreciated on the rare occasions when it rains on the London to Brighton Run! On the subject of the Brighton Run you also get the benefit of an early start due to its 1901 date as verified by its VCC dating certificate number 2452 which was issued on September 2004. The car is obviously correct as the only variances recorded on the certificate are a non-standard but period looking Claudel carburettor and a relocated water tank. I gather the Boyer was totally restored in 1991 and the file includes a few pre-restoration pictures of it so you can see that a large proportion of the car is original.
All in all this is a rare and very pretty single cylinder four place motor car which will make a really good participant in the London to Brighton as well as being able to join in single and twin cylinder events like the Creepy Crawley. Wherever it goes it is sure to attract a lot of interest.

For Further information on this and other Fine Automobiles please visit: 


Sunday 26 October 2014


Day two of our spotlight on Veteran cars as a celebration of next Sunday's London to Brighton Veteran Car Run.
For Today we visit Bonhams Auctions who will be holding their traditional LBVCR sale at New Bond Street on Friday 31st October.

1899 Peugeot Type 26
1899 Peugeot Type 26  Chassis no. 925 Engine no. 570 
Registration no. BS 8358 
Chassis no. 925 Engine no. 570
£65,000 - 75,000
€82,000 - 95,000


  • Formerly producers of tools, coffee mills, umbrella spikes and corsetry, Peugeot commenced its long-standing connection with wheeled transport in 1885 when it added cycle manufacture to its portfolio. Amongst the world's oldest surviving motor manufacturers, the company commenced car production in 1889 with a steam-powered tri-car but soon abandoned steam in favour of the internal combustion engine, building a succession of ever larger automobiles before introducing the first of its famous Bébé light cars in 1900. Step by step Peugeot modernised its designs, adopting the steering wheel in 1901 on the Type 36 and front-mounted engines on all of its new models in 1902. Singles, twins and four-cylinder cars were produced at this time, some with chain and others with shaft drive, the latter becoming universal after 1909.

    This early Peugeot, car number '925' with engine number '570', was delivered to Toulouse on 11th October 1899 as stated in a letter from Peugeot on file, this information being taken the original factory records, which still exist. Nothing is known of its early history but is believed to have been in the Lips Collection and then bought by a German collector before it was imported into the UK in April 2001 by its current owner a prominent member of the Veteran Car Club.

    This model, retrospectively designated by Peugeot as the Type 26, was announced in the French and British motoring press in the summer of 1899. It is pictured and described in The Autocar (1st July 1899), La Locomotion (20th July 1899) and La France Automobile (17th Sept 1899) and is also shown in contemporary Peugeot literature (copies on file.) This was one of the few models with a single drive chain.

    The horizontal 3CV twin-cylinder engine, designed by Peugeot, is located at rear and supersedes the Daimler design used in Peugeot's very early cars. Probably fitted with hot-tube ignition originally, it is now fitted with a replica trembler coil distributor, connected to the oscillating shaft that activates the exhaust valves and driven from a figure of eight grove in the centre flywheel. The inlet valves are of the atmospheric type, while the internal governor was removed earlier in the car's life. An electric water pump has been sympathetically fitted as the existing pump proved unreliable (it is in the accompanying box of spares). Steering is by the Peugeot handlebar system linked by a chain to the mechanism mounted on the chassis by the front axle. The clutch and foot brake remain in their original positions, with the brake pedal on the left.

    This Peugeot is dated by the Veteran Car Club and also has a Science Museum Certificate and a letter from the Society of Automotive Historians. The car number '925' has been found in 19 locations, most notably in the centre of the removable bodywork covering the engine. There may be others yet to be discovered. The stamping of the car number on most mechanical parts is a feature of Peugeots of this era and indicates this example's high degree of originality. The engine number is stamped on the middle of the right-hand chassis tube above the step.

    'BS 8358' was driven on many Veteran Car Club events in the 2002-2004 seasons but has not been used since. As a 1899 car, it will command an early start on the London-Brighton Run and is classified by the VCC as a 'Class 1' car. Eligible for many of their annual awards, it is highly suitable for the famous VCC 'Creepy Crawly' and 'Snail Trail' rallies. Although not overly fast, it is said to be a lively performer and good hill-climber. There is a pair of (inner and outer) fitted covers suitable for use while towing included in the sale, and the car also comes with current road fund licence and a V5C document.
London to Brighton Run Sale, Veteran Motor Cars and Related Automobilia

31 Oct 2014, starting at 13:30 GMT with lot 1.


Saturday 25 October 2014


Next weekend sees the Annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. The event now runs over three day starting with Bonhams Auction on Friday & the Regent Street Motor Show on Saturday, culminating in the run to Brighton on Sunday.
For the next week we will be looking at Veteran Cars currently available plus some of the auction lots at Bonhams Sale.
To start off we look at a car from the respected dealer Gavin McGuire.
"Gavin McGuire Fine Automobiles"

This very pretty Veteran Car Club dated voiturette, car number 4, was made by Usine Delin of Louvain in Belgium and is one of only three such vehicles known to survive. Delin made cars for only two years from 1899 until their factory was taken over by Usines Eugene Mathieu who carried on making cars of their own design until 1905. The car was for many years part of the extensive A W F Smith collection based in Cross in Hand in East Sussex.
It is a quite charming machine with lovely original bodywork which is evidenced by a pre restoration photograph of the car as well as a very early manufacturer’s publicity picture. It has an attractive stick-back front seat and a small seat at the rear which is also quite handy as a place to put the lovely leather suitcase which comes with the car.
Its Belgian made Kelecom single cylinder engine, which is rated at 4 hp, is linked by a drive chain to a transverse mounted three forward speed and reverse gearbox which in turn drives the rear wheels by means of a further chain. It has a conventional steering wheel with throttle and ignition controls on the column, a floor mounted pedal for the hub mounted contracting band rear wheel brakes, a lever to operate rubber brake pads on the rear tyres plus a sprag to hold you on steep hills.
I have only just seen the car and I have yet road tested it but it has been driven recently by a friend of the owner and it took part in the Brighton Run in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. I have heard it running and was impressed not only by how readily the engine started but also how healthy it sounds - this is not really surprising as it is reported by a recent owner that a substantial amount of work has been done on both it and the gearbox which claim is supported by a number of used mechanical spares which come with the car which I understand were replaced during the rebuild.
It comes with a card Log Book dating from October 1946 which could well be when it first came in to England though I have no evidence to support that theory!
The Delin has been entered for this year’s London to Brighton Run (it has start number 67) and if you are able to make a quick decision you can take it on the Run yourself!

Gavin McGuire
East Sussex

tel: 01892 770310     07770 316482

Friday 24 October 2014


Saturday 25th October 2014

Lot 1761

[Image: illustration 1 of 14 for lot 1761]

Lot 1761 Description


Reg. no. 474 XPL
Chassis no. GA 31939CP
Engine no. YC6026OHE

Estimate: £4,500 - 5,000

Condition Report or Notes

This lovely example of the rarer Herald Coupe was purchased by the vendor in 2004 and has been the subject of much work and expenditure since that time. The list of work includes new lower quarter panels, replacement sills and a complete brake system overhaul including the fitment of larger calipers for improved braking. New front wheel bearings and trunnions have been fitted and the gearbox overhauled including new bearings and syncromesh units (the vendor advises us that the gearbox is a little noisy and may require further attention). A larger 1500 cc engine has been installed which has been tuned by the fitment of twin 40 DCOE Weber carburettors and a gas-flowed Spitfire exhaust manifold. The cylinder head has been polished and the crankshaft balanced. The flywheel has also been lightened. The electrical system has been converted to negative earth and an alternator replaces the dynamo for improved reliability. The vast majority of this work is supported by a file of invoices and receipts. The result is a stunning example of the marque which is in excellent condition both inside and out. The car has an MOT certificate that expires in July 2015 and a road fund license that expires in April 2015.

Additional Illustrations

 For Further Information visit:
Source: Richard Edmonds Auctions

 Model Specs:



By a couple of weeks, this was actually the first Herald model to be launched, and was what Michelotti’s Herald prototype had looked like. Initially all Coupés were sold with a twin-carb version of the 948cc engine, though this was increased to a single-carb 1147cc along with the rest of the range in 1961. Front disc brakes became optional just before the engine swap. All but very early cars had strengthening ribs on the hardtop behind the side windows. Though undoubtedly pretty and sought after today, the Coupé proved a poor seller and was discontinued in 1964.



N/A secs


in-line four


Independent, coil springs
Independent, transverse leaf spring
front-engine RWD
rack and pinion
chassis and seperate body
Four-speed manual




Thursday 23 October 2014


It's been a while since we visited the stock of Fiskens purveyor of Fine automobiles
and today we have chosen this from their quality stock.

Chassis: 46525

During the late 1920s and early ‘30s the unmistakeably grand Type 41 ‘Royale’ topped the Bugatti range. With its staggering 4.3-metre wheelbase and a herculean straight-eight engine displacing 12.7-litres, the T41’s notoriety was assured. What’s more, it created an enormous void between itself and the company’s next largest model.
To bridge the gap Ettore Bugatti needed to build a car of similar appeal and distinction but with smaller proportions. Launched in 1929, the Type 46 met the brief perfectly. Although affectionately known as the ‘Petite Royale’, nothing about its 5,359cc straight-eight or 3.5-metre wheelbase chassis was small.
Jean Bugatti penned a number of in-house bodies for the car, most notably the Superprofilee, but approximately 40 external coachbuilders received commissions to work on a T46. A test performed by The Motor in 1930 reported that the car combined ‘the luxury of a large limousine and perfect flexibility and top-gear performance of a thoroughbred low carriage with the perfect road holding, speed and acceleration of the best type of sports model.'
With the Great Depression looming and contemporaries like Bentley being placed into receivership, Bugatti did exceedingly well to sell over 400 examples. Despite utilising torque through a three-speed gearbox customers craved more power, and an ‘S’ variant joined the range in 1930. The addition of a Roots-type supercharger and two Zenith carburettors provided an increase of 20bhp, but the significant price of the T46 S, and its largely unfelt improvement, put customers off. Ultimately, fewer than 20 were sold.
The Type 46 proudly offered by Fiskens (chassis 46525) is one of the ultra-exclusive S models sold new to Swiss Bugatti importer Bucar. Bodied in Switzerland by Reinboldt & Christie as a four-door cabriolet, 46525 eventually resurfaced in the USA.
Discovered and acquired in the 1980s by world-renowned collector Henry Petronis, 46525 began a 14-year long restoration in which key original parts were sourced to return the car to its former splendour. Finished in enchanting claret red with a complementary beige folding hood, this is believed to be the only open T46 S left in existence, and arguably the best restored example.
Type 57s receive the lion’s share of classic Bugatti attention, but the 46 is now unquestionably the connoisseur’s choice. What better car to offer than this beautifully presented and unique example of the rarest T46 S series?


Queens Gate Place Mews
London, SW7 5BQ


+44 (0)20 7584 3503


+44 (0)20 7584 7403


Wednesday 22 October 2014


Today's classic comes thanks to a timely e-mail from Classicmobia
Healeys production records indicate that some 123 were sold purely as rolling chassis with a whole range of different bodies fitted. Most were English and included saloons, tourers and even station wagons or shooting breaks as the British like to call them. The London coachbuilder Hobbs produced shooting breaks that featured a heavy use of exterior timberwork not unlike the Woodies being manufactured in the US at the time. There were a number of European coachbuilders who also used the Healey chassis, such as the Swiss company Beuttler with a number of highly fashionable open and closed bodies but once again were very expensive.


This 1948 Healey Woodie Estate was built by the very well-known Healey Elliott pre-war racer Hector Hobbs, as a result as liking the cars, decided to sell Healeys from his garage in Southampton. To get around purchase Tax of 30% he commissioned the building of 17 Woodie Estates on the Westland Elliott chassis. The woodwork was given to the coach builders Dibbins of Southampton and the panel work was taken from Westland’s the builders of the Elliott and Westland Roadster.

Today only two vehicles survive, 607 YUP (FOW 178) was discovered in a very poor state in Scotland. A full pains taking restoration started about three years ago and a lot of research carried out to make sure the car was correct in every way, with no expense spared.

Probably the fastest Woodie on the road today, which is set up so well, it drives like a dream.

+44(0)1908 270672
+44(0)7889 805432
Classicmobilia House
Milton Keynes

Tuesday 21 October 2014


For today's Classic we take a look at one of the most iconic of British vehicles, it's been with us for 65 years in various forms from Series 1 to the current Defender. With production due to end in December 2015 now is the time to look back at the lasting heritage


Turbo Diesel – Galvanised Chassis

KDO 341F – 1968 Series IIA – Turbo Diesel – Galvanised Chassis


KDO 341F – 1968 Series IIA – Turbo Diesel – Galvanised Chassis
TAX Exempt
Classic Car Insurance
Galvanised Chassis
Turbo Diesel Engine
Previously sold by us here at Land Rover centre back in 2010. We recently had the opportunity to re-purchase KDO, and were happy to have her back here in Huddersfield.
She still retains all the features from when she was rebuilt, which include:
  • Galvanised Chassis
  • 2.5 Turbo Diesel engine
  • Power steering
  • 205 x 16 radial tyres
  • Hard top with side windows
  • Deluxe front seats (2) + Cubby box
  • Rear Bench seats
  • Inertia front seat belts
  • Free wheel hubs
  • side and rear steps
  • Full La Salle headlining and door trims

All in all an extremely solid and usable classic Land Rover
To be sold fully serviced, with 12 months MOT and 6 months Silver Warranty.

Vehicle Features
  • Classic car insurance
  • Free Wheel Hubs
  • Galvanised chassis
  • Hard Top
  • Tax Exempt
  • Turbo Diesel
 1968 Land Rover Series IIA - Turbo Diesel  1968 Land Rover Series IIA - Turbo Diesel 1968 Land Rover Series IIA - Turbo Diesel

1968 Land Rover Series IIA - Turbo Diesel


Contact Details

  • Land Rover Centre, Waterside, Bridge Street, Lockwood, Huddersfield, HD4 6EL
  • 01484 542092
  • 01484 545534 (FAX)
  • Vehicle sales:
  • 01484 542092